This little pagoda, based on the earlier Lien Phai Pagoda in Hanoi, was built by monks who fled from there after the country was partitioned in 1954. During the Vietnam War, the temple was used by the Vietcong as an undercover camp. Despite President Diem’s efforts to destroy the pagoda, local support provided by the monks kept the structure safe and intact.
Like its Hanoi counterpart, the building can be seen rising from the middle of a lotus pond. A narrow staircase leads from the pond’s edge to the porch-like entrance. The façade has many windows, providing an almost unbroken 360-degree view. The interior is simple, with a low altar.